It wasn’t too long ago when Austin was just a small town in the middle of Texas. Though Austin has kept the small town feel through it’s explosive growth, it is now a big city with a metro area approaching 1 million. If you’re looking to move to the Austin area, but prefer a slower, small town to a big city, we’ve given you a list of 5 that are close enough to Austin to be able to take advantage of the big city, but far enough away to escape.
Small Towns Near Austin: Buda
- Distance to Downtown Austin: 20 minutes, 17 miles
- Distance to Austin Airport: 18 minutes, 17 miles
- Average & Median Price: $278,928 and $255,750
- Price Range: $100k – $1.3MM
- Average Size: 2,148 sqft, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- School District: Hays CISD
Buda is Austin’s southern neighbor. Though just outside the city limits of Austin, Downtown Buda looks more like an old time Texas Hill Country town than a city that’s 19 miles from Austin. Buda has everything from a 50 year old ranch with livestock to a bungalow within walking distance Downtown to sprawling, suburban new construction. At the 2010 census, Buda’s population was just over 7,000, which was 103% over 2000’s figures and is expected to grow over the next decade. Most of the growth is on either side of Interstate 35. If you’re looking to keep the feel as small town as possible, focus your search on the area west of 35.
For more info and to search homes for sale, visit our Buda Neighborhood Guide.
Buda Neighborhood Map
Buda Homes for Sale
Small Towns Near Austin: Driftwood
- Distance to Downtown Austin: 30 minutes, 25 miles
- Distance to Austin Airport: 30 minutes, 28 miles
- Average & Median Price: $615,547 and $588,300
- Price Range: $200k – $2.4MM
- Average Size: 3,308 sqft, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
- School District: Dripping Springs ISD, Hays CISD, Wimberley ISD
Driftwood is Buda’s western neighbor with just under 2,500 people at the 2010 census. Driving around Driftwood, you would never guess you were just 25 miles southwest of Downtown Austin. Miles of open space, livestock and expansive Hill Country views are common, giving this area a genuine small town feeling. Driftwood doesn’t have a Downtown like Buda with restaurants and businesses, but is home to the very popular Salt Lick BBQ and Duchman’s winery and is only about 20 minutes from South Austin and Dripping Springs. Driftwood has a variety of housing options, but very few neighborhoods that look suburban. New construction is usually built on acre plus lots, so you’ll have a neighborhood feel but space and privacy as well.
For more info and to search homes for sale, visit our Driftwood Neighborhood Guide.
Driftwood Neighborhood Map
Driftwood Homes for Sale
Small Towns Near Austin: Dripping Springs
- Distance to Downtown Austin: 30 minutes, 24 miles
- Distance to Austin Airport: 30 minutes, 27 miles
- Average & Median Price: $497,672 and $442,000
- Price Range: $150k – $2.6MM
- Average Size: 2,656 sqft, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- School District: Dripping Springs ISD, Lake Travis ISD, Johnson City ISD
Dripping Springs is Driftwood’s northern neighbor and is 25 miles due west of Austin. Population at the 2010 census was just over 1,700. Dripping Springs residents live on large parcels of land and enjoy Texas Hill Country living at it’s best. Downtown Dripping Springs has a few restaurants, local businesses, H-E-B grocery store and even a Home Depot, but still keeps a genuine small town feel. As Austin’s growth continues west, Dripping Springs will likely grow up a bit, but I believe that both Dripping Springs and Driftwood will preserve their country vibe.
For more info and to search homes for sale, visit our Dripping Springs Neighborhood Guide.
Dripping Springs Neighborhood Map
Dripping Springs Homes for Sale
Small Towns Near Austin: Wimberley
- Distance to Downtown Austin: 45 minutes, 37 miles
- Distance to Austin Airport: 45 minutes, 42 miles
- Average & Median Price: $388,786 and $326,200
- Price Range: $150k – $1.8MM
- Average Size: 2,085 sqft, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- School District: Wimberley ISD
Wimberley is the ultimate in Texas Hill Country living. With a population of just over 2,500 at the 2010 census and a friendly Downtown that caters to locals and tourists, Wimberley is the ideal choice if you want a small town with the most chance of staying small. Most of the homes sit on large lots and the luxury homes have spectacular Hill Country views. Wimberley is 38 miles from Downtown Austin and 15 miles from San Marcos.
For more info and to search homes for sale, visit our Wimberley Neighborhood Guide.
Wimberley Homes for Sale
Small Towns Near Austin: Spicewood
- Distance to Downtown Austin: 40 minutes, 36 miles
- Distance to Austin Airport: 40 minutes, 40 miles
- Average & Median Price: $571,785 and $428,000
- Price Range: $100k – $2.8MM
- Average Size: 2,830 sqft, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- School District: Lake Travis ISD and Marble Falls ISD
Spicewood had a population of just over 7,000 at the 2010 census and is 36 miles from Downtown Austin. Located on Lake Travis, Spicewood is the ideal choice for someone looking for small town and enjoys the outdoor activities Lake Travis has to offer. Spicewood has a mix or suburban master planned communities, waterfront, and established neighborhoods with more of a small town feel. The quality of the Lake Travis school district has sped up the growth of Spicewood and though growth is slower than we’re seeing in Lakeway, it might not be too long before Spicewood grows up.
For more info and to search homes for sale, visit our Spicewood Neighborhood Guide.
Spicewood Neighborhood Map
Spicewood Homes for Sale
Average and median price and size data is from ACTRIS closed sales 1/1/2018-12/31/2018.
Looking to Buy a Home in a Small Town Near Austin?
We can help! We live in a small town and understand your desire to want to get away from the city. Our team specializes in buyers and have a combined 55+ years of experience. Check out our Austin Home Buyer page to learn more about us and how we work. Then, call us at (512) 827-8323 or email us at info@11OaksRealty.com to schedule a no obligation consultation.