As the Spring weather moves into Texas, the Official Sport of Texas takes center stage. If you’ve never experienced it, there is nothing like the live action of the rodeo. From the opening fireworks to the comedy of the clowns, the rodeo is as family friendly as it comes. Yesterday, we told you about Rodeo Austin and the 2015 Rodeo Austin Concert Schedule. Today, we’ll tell you about two rodeos within a short drive from Austin.
Texas Rodeos Near Austin
If you’re like us and love Rodeo Austin, you might be interested in checking out the other rodeos that are within a short drive from Austin. It took us a few years to venture outside Rodeo Austin, but once we did, we make San Antonio and Houston Rodeo a regular event. Both bigger venues, San Antonio and Houston Rodeo tickets are less expensive, but your seats are further from the action as most of the lower level seats are for season ticket holders. That being said, they also tend to attract bigger musical acts. It is a great place to check out your favorite artists, but also check out someone you’ve never seen.
San Antonio Rodeo
The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo kicks off Rodeo season. This year’s event starts on February 12, 2015 and runs through March 1, 2015. Only 76 miles from Austin, we go to the San Antonio Rodeo as much, or more than the Austin Rodeo. Held at the AT&T Center, the San Antonio rodeo is a much larger rodeo than Rodeo Austin. Although the events are the same (bull riding, barrel racing, steer wrestling, mutton bustin, etc), there is a more diverse and a deeper talent pool competing. The entertainment is on a grander scale as well. This years headliners include Hunter Hayes, Keith Urban, John Legend, Cole Swindell, Brad Paisley, Reba McEntire and Justin Moore.
San Antonio Won Large Rodeo of the Year 10 Times
If you can only attend one rodeo this year, The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo is the one to experience. Inducted into the PRCA Hall of Fame in 2008, it has won the Large Rodeo of the Year Award 10 times. The San Antonio Rodeo is more of an all day event compared to Rodeo Austin, which is more of a great evening. From the livestock shows to the carnival to the wine garden, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Take a day and see why this rodeo is our favorite of the year.
San Antonio Rodeo 2015 Concert Schedule
This year’s rodeo takes place February 12, 2015 – March 1, 2015 and has a different, chart topping performer every night. Here is the San Antonio Rodeo’s 2015 Concert Schedule.
- February 12, 2015 – Joe Nichols
- February 13, 2015 – Hunter Hayes
- February 14, 2015 – Keith Urban
- February 15, 2015 – Pentatonix
- February 16, 2015 – John Legend
- February 17, 2015 – Newsboys
- February 18, 2015 – Cole Swindell
- February 19, 2015 – Brad Paisley
- February 20, 2015 – Eli Young Band
- February 21, 2015 – Dan + Shay
- February 21, 2015 – Little Big Town
- February 22, 2015 – Easton Corbin
- February 22, 2015 – Banda Los Recoditos
- February 23, 2015- Reba
- February 24, 2015- Justin Moore
- February 25,2015 – Billy Currington
- February 26, 2015 – Jeff Foxworthy
- February 27, 2015 – Styx
- February 28, 2015- Josh Abbott Band
- February 28, 2015 – Lee Brice
You can buy tickets at www.sarodeo.com/entertainers.
If you want to experience the rodeo on the largest of stages, Rodeo Houston is it. Dubbed as world’s largest, live entertainment and livestock exhibition, Rodeo Houston is also the richest regular season event. Held in NRG Stadium, the 20 day event draws more than 2,000,000 people per year. Houston considers its rodeo as their signature event, similar to how Dallas feels about the State Fair, and the entire city embraces it. As such, Houston’s Rodeo Season does not start and stop with the bull riding. The week leading up to the rodeo includes the Downtown Rodeo Parade, multiple black tie events, rodeo runs and the World Championship of Barbecue Contest.
Rodeo Houston Attendance Expected to Break 2014’s Record
This years event begins on March 3, 2015 and runs through March 22, 2015 and is expected to break the attendance record of 2,506,238 set just last year. This year’s rodeo will draw the best competitors from all over the world competing for more than $2,500,000. On top of the usual rodeo action, this years event will add Chuck Wagon Races, calf scrambles, and trick riding demonstrations.
Bigger Stage = Bigger Artists
With more than 70,000 people in attendance nightly, the rodeo also draws some of the biggest names in entertainment. As expected, the lineup is mostly Country, but also features Pop and Latin Music. Taking the stage this year will be Eric Church, Miranda Lambert, Alan Jackson, Fall Out Boy, Tim McGraw, Zac Brown Band, Ariana Grande, Pit Bull, La Arrolladora Banda El Limon and Luke Bryan.
Rodeo Houston 2015 Concert Schedule
This year’s rodeo takes place March 3-22, 2015 and has a different, chart topping performer every night. Here is Rodeo Houston’s 2015 Concert Schedule.
- March 3, 2015 – Eric Church
- March 4, 2015 – Hunter Hayes
- March 5, 2015 – Miranda Lambert
- March 6, 2015 – John Legend
- March 7, 2015 – Alan Jackson
- March 8, 2015 – Fall Out Boy
- March 9, 2015 -Justin Moore
- March 10, 2015 – Tim McGraw
- March 11, 2015- Brantley Gilbert
- March 12, 2015 – Zac Brown Band
- March 13, 2015 – Pitbull
- March 14, 2015 – Billy Currington
- March 15, 2015 – La Arrolladora Banda El Limon
- March 15, 2015 – La Maquinaria Nortena
- March 16, 2015 – Dierks Bentley
- March 17, 2015 – Ariana Grande
- March 18, 2015 – Florida Georgia Line
- March 19, 2015 – Blake Shelton
- March 20, 2015- The Band Perry
- March 21, 2015 – Brad Paisley
- March 22, 2015 – Luke Bryan
You can buy tickets at www.rodeohouston.com.
Never Been to the Rodeo? Why Not Check it Out in 2015?
If you’ve never been to the rodeo, this is the year to pull up your boots, saddle up and experience the thrill of the Texas Rodeo Season. You may just catch the bug like we did. Looking for other fun things to do in Austin? Check out our Things to Do in Austin Blog.
Leave a Reply