The Grand Opening of the Austin Central Library is set for November 2016. Why in the world are we talking about a new library a year and a half before it opens? Because it’s way more than that a building with books. With a $120MM price tag, this isn’t your run-of-the mill, brush the dust off, humdrum library. Standing at six-stories and covering 198,000 square feet of Downtown Austin real estate, the new library will be the heart of the redevelopment of the Seaholm Power Plant District. Designed to be another notch on the everchanging Downtown Austin skyline, this “Library of the Future” is set up to be a gathering spot for all that visit the downtown area.
What is a Library for the Future?
As Austin continues to be the destination of choice for tech startups and larger enterprise companies, it’s only fitting that Austin will have the first “library for the future” in the United States. What makes a library a Library of the Future?
- Flexible and blended spaces that can manipulate for different needs
- A Focus on electronic delivery of information instead of being a book warehouse
- Collections displayed for the public to encourage discovery
- A community gathering place to promoting a lively and contemplative atmosphere
The First Library for the 21st Century
The new Central Library will replace the Faulk Central Library that opened in 1979. What is so exciting about this project is that the new library will showcase what a library should be for the 21st century. Here are some of the elements that will make the Central Library a go-to destination:
- Site Connections to Shoal Creek, Lady Bird Lake, Second Street Shopping District, Lance Armstrong Bikeway, Western portal to Downtown Austin
- Spacious and open light-filled atrium
- Reading porches overlooking Shoal Creek and Lady Bird Lake
- Quiet oversized reading rooms
- Outdoor reading garden
- 350 seat special events center
- Full Service Restaurant
- Photovoltaic panels to generate electrical power
- Rainwater harvesting system to provide water for plumbing and irrigation
- Extensively daylight to cut down on lighting
- Recycling center for books to be resold
- Vegetated Roof
- Charging stations for electric cars
- 150 spaces for bike parking
Showcase and Exhibit Areas
- Display honoring Austin restaurants and Chefs/cooking demo area
- Display honoring Austin music and musicians
- Display of Austin film collection and achievements
Downtown Austin’s New Library Will Attract Residents and Visitors
The new Central Library will be an urban destination when it opens in November 2016. Not only will it be a gathering place for Austinites, but a go to destination for everyone that visits Austin. Austin continues to strive to be on the cutting edge of everything and the new library will be another shining example.
Austin Continues to Drive the Future of the US
It’s projects like these that proves Austin is the #1 city driving the future of the US and should be one of the hottest American cities for 2015.
Considering Relocating to Austin?
Are you considering relocating to Austin, one of the coolest cities in the US? We really don’t blame you. We thought Austin was cool before the new library was planned and it is even cooler now. We relocated to Austin from San Francisco (another pretty cool city) and couldn’t be happier. Since, we’ve helped many families relocate and buy homes in Austin. For more info about our team and for some relocation tips, check out our Guide to Relocating to Austin. Have questions? Ready to get started? Call us at (512) 827-8323, email us at info@11OaksRealty.com or fill out our Relocation Survey.